News

Since December, Tom Okwach’s Family Still Pitching Tent At Tragic Mine In Bondo

A distressed mother and her family have pitched camp next to Abimbo mine in Bondo, Siaya County where their kin’s body lies. 

Tom Okwach has been trapped in the mine since it collapsed on December 2, 2021.

The 35-year-old worked as a gold miner at the mine. On the day it collapsed, 10 miners were trapped. Eight of them survived, one was found dead while Mr Okwach was in communication with the rescue teams for six days, until December 8.

He informed the teams of his exact location in the collapsed mine. He had mentioned that the water level was rising saying that he had moved to a safer place. Based on this information, the rescuers were convinced it would take a few hours or days to find him. 

It was not until it started raining, resulting in soil and rocks collapsing that the mission was dimmed almost ‘impossible’. The county disaster management team was reportedly the first to concede defeat on December 17. The rest left shortly after.

Family living near in a tent near mine

The family has since then erected a tent at the mine hoping for a miracle. They depend on relatives and friends to provide food and water for them. 

Joyce Achola – Mr Okwach’s mother – suffers from diabetes. The life of the 58-year-old woman is at risk as she has foregone her diet.

“A number of people and organisations that came to help with the rescue have been withdrawing their services and now we watch helplessly,” said a devastated Ms Achola. 

Siaya’s County Disaster Management officer George Aola is insistent that they have not abandoned the rescue exercise. 

“We are trying our best, I am aware that the rescue activity is not as active as before but that should not mean we have abandoned the exercise. We have made arrangements to have six million shillings allocated for an excavator and rescue team,” he says.

The family hopes to raise money through fundraisers in order to hire an excavator and a team of 40 rescuers.

“Our wish is to bury Okwach at home. We will appreciate the efforts by authorities to help us retrieve his body. My son’s spirit will otherwise never at peace,” lamented Ms Achola.


There's no story that cannot be told. We cover the stories that others don't want to be told, we bring you all the news you need. If you have tips, exposes or any story you need to be told bluntly and all queries write to us [email protected] also find us on Telegram

Related posts

VIDEO: Horrifying Moments As Goons Rush To Surround Raila’s Chopper With Him On Board Smashing The Windows

nairobi-exposed

Armed prison warder who had travelled from Meru to kill campus girlfriend in Thika over sh900K loan arrested

nairobi-exposed

E-Plus Ambulance Was Used To Carry Drunk Teenagers From Partying

nairobi-exposed

The Man Kenya Forgot: Miner Tom Okwach’s Family Painful Cry 37 Days Later

nairobi-exposed

US President Trump Phones Uhuru Over Coronavirus Pandemic

nairobi-exposed

Sportpesa Hints On An Early Comeback

nairobi-exposed

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More