News

Huduma Namba declared invalid

The High Court has declared Huduma Namba invalid after ruling that the law wasn’t followed in its roll-out.

Justice Jairus Ngaah ruled on Thursday, October 14, that the Government failed to conduct data impact assessment before rolling out the cards in November last year, contravening the Constitution in the process.

Law scholar Yash Pal Ghai and Katiba Institute had, in November 2020, challenged the roll-out of the cards over lack of guarantee against theft or misuse of Kenyans’ personal information.

The lobby group argued that the Government failed to subject the fresh registration of Kenyans to data protection impact assessment (DPIA), a requirement under the law.

The assessment is aimed at identifying risks that could arise due to a breach of privacy, loss of data and unlawful use of information like names, date of birth, postcode and residences.

The Government started issuing the cards in early December 2020, after stating that the current National Identification Cards would cease being valid in December this year.

President Uhuru Kenyatta launched the Huduma Namba mass registration on April 2, 2019.


There's no story that cannot be told. We cover the stories that others don't want to be told, we bring you all the news you need. If you have tips, exposes or any story you need to be told bluntly and all queries write to us [email protected] also find us on Telegram

Related posts

Fear Grips As Mohamed Ali Carries Gun To Parliament

nairobi-exposed

Deceased Doctor Was Scared Of Dying As Details Of Her Suicide Note Emerge

nairobi-exposed

Papa Shirandula Is Dead

nairobi-exposed

Bobi Wine Responds To Claims Of Him Being Gay

nairobi-exposed

KCB Bank Manager Arrested Over Sh22M Fraud

nairobi-exposed

Coronavirus Positive Man Who Traveled To Siaya With Forged Documents, Infects 7

nairobi-exposed

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More