Corruption

Lamu: Residents Want Contractor Recalled Over Poor Finishing Of Road

The contractor of the Sh10.8 billion Lamu-Witu-Garsen road is on the spot for leaving open ditches that have left scores injured.

The project, which was completed and opened by President Uhuru Kenyatta on May 20 last year, was built by H-Young company in collaboration with GIBB Africa Limited.

Residents want the contractor recalled to backfill the ditches that were dug in the course of the roadworks.

They also want a proper drainage system installed to end flooding in the area.

Residents say lack of a proper drainage system and kerbs on the road that cuts across Witu town, leads to flooding whenever it rains.

Community leader Badawy Shekale said several children have broken their limbs while playing around the open ditches.

“The road is complete but they have left so many open ditches which they should have backfilled once they were done because they know the danger they pose to navigation and safety of residents. Several houses have already been swept away by floods,” Shekale said.

Mariam Zenewy said, “There are sections on the road with culverts. This should have had kerbs built around them but now it floods everywhere. We want the contractor to come back and fix this.” 

In his response, H-Young (EA) Limited regional manager David Sharvit said they do not plan to tend to the ditches in the meantime due to security concerns in the affected areas.

“It’s up to the Kenya National Highways Authority to decide. We can only come in once security issues in the areas are resolved,” Sharvit said.

Other areas affected by the situation include Mokowe, Hindi, Pangani, Sabasaba, Ndeu, Mkunumbi, Koreni, Kibaoni, and Majembeni.


There's no story that cannot be told. We cover the stories that others don't want to be told, we bring you all the news you need. If you have tips, exposes or any story you need to be told bluntly and all queries write to us [email protected] also find us on Telegram

Related posts

How Somali Tycoon Bribed Land Officials To Grab Shariff Nassir Family Land

nairobi-exposed

IFC, Milio International entangled in insider dealing claims over stalled MGT Project

nairobi-exposed

Lovers Yeda Apopo And John Ngumi’s Corruption Puts Kenya Power On Donors Blacklist Over Endless Tender Wrangles

nairobi-exposed

Mandera Cannot Account For Sh1B, Audit Shows

nairobi-exposed

Kisumu police probe mysterious fire at county offices

nairobi-exposed

Intricate Web: How Rigathe Gachagua Created Shell Conpanies And Siphoned Sh12B From State Agencies

nairobi-exposed

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More